Puk is a female photo-artist, born in The Hague – the Netherlands (1972) and from an early age fascinated by photography and the dark room. During her childhood she moved almost every two years. She enjoyed the novelty of new surroundings and new people and thought it to be quite an adventure. This clearly formed her; being curious, always asking questions and embarking on journeys to find possible answers. During her early twenties she started to travel and live abroad for about ten years, working as an outdoor and scuba instructor. Being adventurous she pushed the boundaries during scuba diving, which ultimately let to a forced change of carrier. This journey let her back to an old love; photography.
Although Puk works with photographic processes, she is not a photographer in any traditional sense. Rather, she create installations that are a result of her being curious and philosophical. If everything is relative, it should also be possible to apply it to photography when presenting the images. She is clearly influenced by physics, philosophy, cubism, conceptual- and experimental art.
The photographs undergo whatever Puk finds relevant to help emphasis the theme or subject. “When creating ‘me my Self & you’ it was obvious to me I had to work with cut-outs, varying heights and mirrors to emphasis my personal confusion about the Self. I always want to add something to the visual experience that goes beyond a photographic image.”
The philosophical and experimental approach keep challenging her to be daring and look at things differently.
Her best-known works of art are perhaps her Polaroid Paradox series, in which she shows how a Polaroid can bring together the past, present and future. The Ice Prisoner, a multi media installation, combining photography with spoken word and an overwhelming soundscape. And her latest project me, my Self & you, an art installation made of viewing boxes on one side and a large intriguing self-portrait on the opposing wall.
Studied at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of Antwerp, Belgium.
Dutch, based in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
- 2017 – Profile – Ma-Wah Gallery, London (UK)
- 2017 – Different Perspectives ’17 – Oude Havenhuis, Antwerp (Belgium)
- 2016 – Retour – Royal Academy of Fine Arts, Antwerp (Belgium)
- 2016 – Exhibiting the Ice Prisoner – theater ’t Kapelletje Rotterdam
- 2016 – Different Perspectives ’16 – Oude Mosterd fabriek, Antwerp (Belgium)
- 2015 – Concentrische Cirkels – Royal Academy of Fine Arts, Antwerp (Belgium)
- 2015 – Different Perspectives ’15 – Oude Mosterd fabriek, Antwerp (Belgium)
- 2014 – Kunst van het delen – Kunstuitleen Alkmaar, the Netherlands
- 2013 – 2014 – Nacht van de architectuur , the Netherlands
- 2012 – Limburgs Museum – Jong 2012 Venlo, the Netherlands